A lot of times, the built-in Command Prompt may suit your occasional needs to run command lines. But if you are a windows console fan and want much more than what Windows Command Prompt has to offer, it’s time to look around for the better alternatives.
If that’s the case, here are 4 better alternatives that have fantastic improvements over to Windows terminal experience.
Console is a free Windows console enhancement tool that has some of the features that the Command Prompt lacks, such as multiple tabs, text editor-like text selection, different background types, alpha and color key transparency, configurable font, different window styles, etc.. You can also increase the buffer size to cache much more lines of commands and results than you need, which is a much nicer feature to have.
You can also check out our detailed review of Console here.
PowerCmd streamlines the Command Prompt with an easy-to-use GUI interface with nice features including:
- Tab-based console
- Enhanced text editing capabilities
- Bookmarks to easily move between them
- Filtered command prompt history
- Automatically save the output of the console
- Search to find anything in the console
- Visible AutoCompletion.
- Display command prompt environment variables
You can also check out our review of PowerCmd here.
ColorConsole not only brings color to the dull black white world of windows console but also adds a few more useful features like:
- Store your favorite command
- Export the output in HTML and RTF format
- Make Copy, Paste super easy
- Tab-based console
- Much faster folder switches right from the toolbar.
You can also check out our review of ColorConsole here.
ConEmu is a Windows console emulator with tabs, which presents multiple consoles and simple GUI applications as one customizable GUI window with various features.
- Windows 7 Jump List and Progress on the taskbar.
- Easily run old Dos Applications in Windows 7.
- Thumbnails and tiles in Far Manager
- using normal/bold/italic fonts for different parts of the console simultaneously
- Highly customizable with a lot of settings to customize.
- Very easy to launch as administrator.
Other alternatives to share?
If you have used any good Windows Command Prompt alternatives, please feel free share them in the comment.
Latest posts by Kent Chen (see all)
- Microsoft To-Do App Available in Preview on Windows 10, iOS and Android - April 19, 2017
- Windows 10 Tip: What’s Mini View in Movies & TV App and How To Use it - April 15, 2017
- Windows 10 Tip: How To Convert MBR Partition to GPT without Losing Data - April 12, 2017
Last updated: 12/29/2015