Always fascinated by the Mac OS X dock? Guess what, we have more powerful dock applications in Windows than Mac OS X. In windows, you can customize anything you want. You get the freedom to tweak how you want your desktop to look like.
Here I want to show you some of the MOST awesome Dock applications that can make your Windows 7 look even better. (Yes, I mean better than Mac OS X)
#1 Rocket Dock
Rocket Dock includes custom skins, smooth animation on launching icons. It provides a nice clean interface to drop shortcuts on for easy access and organization. With each item completely customizable there is no end to what you can add and launch from the dock.
- Minimize windows to the dock
- Real-time window previews in Vista
- Running application indicators
- Simple drag-n-drop interface
- Multi-monitor support
- Supports alpha-blended PNG and ICO icons
- Icons zoom and transition smoothly
- Auto-hide and Popup on mouse over
- Positioning and layering options
- Fully customizable
- Completely Portable
- ObjectDock Docklet support
- Compatible with MobyDock, ObjectDock, RK Launcher, and Y’z Dock skins
- Runs great on slower computers
- Unicode compliant
- Supports many languages and can easily be translated
- A friendly user base
#2 XWindows Dock
This basically wants to make your Dock looks and feels just exactly like the Mac OS X. It includes reflections, transparencies, shadow and blur in a single package, even less in a single free package. It also has the exact same stack and the exact same minimize animation section in Mac OS X! XWindows Dock yet is another highly customized free Dock Application.
Highlights and Features:
- Amazing icons
- Add to dock favorite applications, folders, stacks and galleries. In any time you can configure
- size and zoom of icons, space between them
- Number of zoomed icons
- icons and their reflections
- Stack the World
- Try to use the 3 different types of stacks and you’ll like this cool feature. Customize stack anytime as you want
- Decide how the stack should be looks like: fan, grid, list and it’s unique gallery mode
- Select custom animation for stacks or make it by itself
- Configurate number of icons in fan stacks and grid stacks
- Monitor folder added as a stack. Every time when files added, removed, modified or renamed at this folder you’ll see that
- Minimize applications
- Advanced minimization of windows were developed in the application. Now you can use two effects of minimization: Scale and Genie. You can easely customize speed of minimisation (or maximization). Set maximum speed and all windows will minimize without animation
So excited? Give it a try see what you can do with your Dock.
The cool thing with Nexus is that it is a multi-level dock system provides fast access for any application that you used most frequently.
It is very easy to setup, some of the themes built in have also included the Leopard theme. See how easy this is to tweak your Windows into a Mac Dock? Adding icons, applications to the dock is easy as well. Just drag them into the dock and it will stick there for you.
- Multi-Dock System (Winstep Xtreme version only)
- Multi-Level Docks (Winstep Xtreme version only)
- Live icon reflections
- Useful Object-based Drag And Drop
- Full Multi-Monitor Support
- Document Thumbnails
- In-Dock Modules
- Reserve Screen Space
- Respect Reserved Screen Space
- Virtual File System Objects support
- Powerful Dock Manipulation options
- Keyboard Navigation
- PNG and TIF File Support
- Special FX
- Complete Customization
It is the next evolution of dock application launcher. SliderDock is an application launcher that allows you to easily drag and drop icons to access them later on by double clicking on them. It will be a unique dock where you don’t have to chase behind you icons to run an application. Just rotate your mouse wheel and let the icons come to you.
How cool is that !
- Simple drag and drop function to add an icon
- quickly launch an application
- use the mouse wheel to let the icons come to you
- smooth animations during icons rotation
- Highlight effect around selected icon
- customizable icons(compatible with objectdock and rocketdock icons)
- Hide/Unhide application with the use of a shortcut key
- Possibility to rotate icons with arrow keys and launch application with enter.
- Different set of icons and configuration for each user.
- Reordering icons through simple drag and drop feature.
- Fully Customizable.
#5 Circle Dock
It is similar to the one above, but it is Open Source! So you can basically do anything with it, for Open Source fans out there this is a great news. Customization are infinite. Download Circle Dock here
What Circle Dock Allows You to Do:
- Launch your programs from a circular dock.
- Drag and drop your files, folders, and shortcuts onto a circular dock that you can resize.
- Rotate the dock with either your mouse wheel or the keyboard arrow keys.
- Change the image shown for the icons and change the skins (compatible with icons and skins for Rocket Dock, Object Dock, etc.)
- The dock appears where your mouse is by pressing a hotkey (default is F1) or your middle mouse button.
- Tested on computers with multiple monitors, Windows XP/Vista, 32-bit & 64-bit, and requires only .Net Framework 2.0.
- Automatically works on all Windows Vista computers and most Windows XP computers.
- A new settings panel that allows you to customize many options. It updates your dock as you make changes. See it change in real time! No need to press an OK button.
- Multi-language capable. Just translate the English.ini file to the language of your choice.
- Change the image used for the dock icons with the easiest method out there: Just set the program to “Icon Replacement Mode” in the right-click menu of the centre icon and you can change all the icon images by just dragging and dropping new PNG images onto them! Huge time saver when you are customizing your dock!
- You can now toggle the visibility of the dock by moving your mouse to any edge of your screen. By default, the left and right edges are used for toggling. No need to press a button!
- Rotate the dock with your mouse wheel or arrow keys (customizable).
- Click sensitivity adjustment for tablet users.
- Reorder the dock items by draging and dropping them over each other.
- Organize the dock items using dock folders.
- By default, clicking on the centre button does not open the start menu. You can enable this in the settings panel.
- Uses the default high resolution icons in Windows Vista.
- New easy method of upgrading from older versions.
So give those a try and let us know what’s the best that suits for you
- This Free Tool Lets You Minimize Any Running Windows into System Tray
- 7stacks Stacks Your Icons on Your Taskbar in Windows 7 [Tool]
- 70 Common Windows Commands Into One Application for Non-Geeks
- Easily Blocking Application in Windows Firewall with Firewall App Blocker
- Download Ultimate Windows Tweaker on Windows 7