When it comes to sharing one set of mouse/keyboard to control 2 or more computers, the first thing you might think is to use those KVM switches. Yes, that’s quite out dated. A while back, we shared a freeware called Synergy that lets you easily share your mouse and keyboard between multiple computers without a special hardware required. Now, here is an even better one, Mouse Without Board, a nice name indeed.
Brought to you by The Garage, Mouse Without Board is one of the few projects that made to the public as the free tool, a wonderfully useful one.
What is Mouse Without Board and what can it do for us?
In a nutshell, it allows you to reach across your PC’s as if they were part of one single desktop. Basically,
- It controls up to 4 computers in the same network from one set of keyboard & mouse.
- Copy & Paste file across all controlled computer.
- More, it supports Drag & Drop of files.
- Easily lock or log into all of controlled computers at one time.
- Share screen captures from one PC to another.
Wow, that’s quite powerful.
Where to get this?
You can download the installation file from this link. It’s only 1.1mb.
Follow the wizard, the installation will be done just in a few seconds with a Thank-you splash.
The configuration starts automatically right after the installation process is finished.
Click Yes if you have already had Mouse Without Board installed on another computer. Or, click No, which assigns you a security code for other to connect.
If you clicked Yes, type in the Security Code and Computer Name that you can get from the other computer. Then a few moments latter, you are ready to rock.
There are more settings you can adjust from the Settings window in the program, e.g. the layout of screen, keyboard shortcuts, etc.
The only drawback is that it doesn’t support Mac and Linux at the moment. Maybe will in the future but I doubt it. Other than that, unless you have Mac and/or Linux machines mixed up in your office, you should definitely use this tool to team up all your Windows computers without any extra hardware required.
- ShareMouse Shares Keyboard and Mouse Between Windows and Mac OSX
- How To Control Two Computer With One Keyboard and Mouse
- Controlling Both Windows 7 and Windows 8 with One Set of Keyboard and Mouse
- Download Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Center to Get the Most out of Windows 8
- Securely Sync Files Between Multiple Computers with Unlimited Space Using BitTorrent Sync