If you have an external drive you rely on heavily, you would want to know if they reach their designated performance, either through a USB 3 or USB 2 port. Knowing your USB drive or port’s performance helps you make decision on whether leaving it as an external drive is a good idea moving forward.
USBFlashSpeed, just like its name implies, is a USB flash drive benchmark tool that not only measures your USB Flash Drive’s read/write performance but also let’s you to publish your results to their online website providing an overview of how USB Flash Drive performs world-wide. It’s always nice knowing how good or bad your flash drive is comparing to many other users all over the world.
It comes with a free portable tool that’s extremely easy to use:
- Download USBFlashSpeed.com exclusive benchmark tool.
- Plug in your usb flash drive and run the benchmark application.
- Choose your usb flash drive letter and start the benchmark.
- Wait for results to be published on the site and…
I plugged my Kingston DT 101 G2 16GB flash drive into a USB 2.0 port on my computer, and here is what I got:
Then, I tried my another 64GB one over USB 3.0 port, here is a result that show a much better performance.
Out of curiosity, I even tried one of my USB HD over a USB 3.0 port. See results below, the USBFlashSpeed benchmarks it as well:
The tool has an upload feature that uploads the result online so others can use it as the baseline. However, on the last 2 tests I did, both failed to upload the result to their website. No big deal, since the website already contains tons of data for you to measure with.
Overall, USBFlashSpeed is a useful and easy-to-use tool that helps you get to know more about your computer and USB drives. It’s always good to know if your equipment is performing well in their class, isn’t it?
While we are on the topic talking about benchmark, why not check out these 6 benchmark tools to get to know more about your computer?
Latest posts by Kent Chen (see all)
- Microsoft To-Do App Available in Preview on Windows 10, iOS and Android - April 19, 2017
- Windows 10 Tip: What’s Mini View in Movies & TV App and How To Use it - April 15, 2017
- Windows 10 Tip: How To Convert MBR Partition to GPT without Losing Data - April 12, 2017
Last updated: 08/04/2014