Homegroup and Network are two much less used icons that seem fair enough to remove so we can get a much cleaner File Explorer. If you don’t like the idea having less used icons cluttered in your Navigation Pane in File Explorer, here is how you can get rid of them.
Remove Homegroup icon
1. Open Registry Editor and go to the following location:
2. Take the ownership of this registry key by
1) Right-clicking the key and choose Permission…
2) Click Advanced button to open Advanced Security Settings dialog window.
3) Click Change link to change the Owner, preferably use Local Administrators group, Enable inheritance, and check Replace all child object… option.
4) Click OK to change the ownership of the registry key.
3. Once the business of the ownership is taken care of, go to the right-side pane and create a new DWORD System.IsPinnedToNameSpaceTree and keeps the value as default which is 0.
That’s it. The change takes place immediately. If you open File Explorer now, you won’t see HomeGroup icon there anymore.
Remove Network icon
1. Fire up Registry Editor and navigate to the following key:
2. Again, take ownership of this registry, following the steps described at above.
3. Once you have the ownership, go to the right-side pane and create a new DWORD System.IsPinnedToNameSpaceTree and keep the value 0 untouched.
That’s it. The change takes place immediately. You won’t see Network icon next time you open File Explorer.
Windows 10 added 2 new icons in the Navigation Pane in File Explorer, known as Quick Access and OneDrive. Even though you shouldn’t be removing them as they are tightly integrated in Windows and are indeed very useful and handy, you still can follow the similar steps to remove them.
To remove OneDrive, simply go to the following registry location and change the value of System.IsPinnedToNameSpaceTree DWORD to 0.
Removing Quick Access is a bit more complicated. Leave comments if you are interested.
Latest posts by Kent Chen (see all)
- Microsoft To-Do App Available in Preview on Windows 10, iOS and Android - April 19, 2017
- Windows 10 Tip: What’s Mini View in Movies & TV App and How To Use it - April 15, 2017
- Windows 10 Tip: How To Convert MBR Partition to GPT without Losing Data - April 12, 2017
Last updated: 08/23/2015