Just can’t get enough out of the collection of keyboard shortcuts in Windows 10, can we? Here is another set of less known but still useful keyboard shortcuts, in addition to 10 New Windows 10 Keyboard Shortcuts we’ve covered before.
For the taskbar
Win + <number> to open whatever app pinned in that position on the taskbar.
Win + Shift + <number> to open a new window of whatever app pinned in that position on the taskbar, which is same as Shift + Click.
Win + Shift + Ctrl + <number> to open a new elevated window of whatever app pinned in that position on the taskbar.
For the UAC
Whenever a UAC prompts up, press Alt + Y to choose Yes and Alt + N to choose No.
For the context menu
Shift + F10 to open the context menu for whatever is in focus, same as Shift + Click on an app or icon, or whatever.
Shift + Right Click in File Explorer to give you an option to launch Command Prompt with whatever folder you are in as the starting path.
Shift + Right Click in File Explorer to have the “Copy as path” option added in the context menu.
For the game bar
Win + G to open the Game Bar in the app and Win + Alt + R to start/stop recording the current app or game.
For the Unicode
To insert a Unicode character in MS Word or WordPad, use Alt + X on a selected character or word to show/hide the Unicode. For example, select “00E9” in Word and press Alt + X to insert a character é to the document.
For the Surface
Lastly, if you have a Surface, here are some useful ones with Fn key for you:
- Fn + Left Arrow: Home
- Fn + Right Arrow: End
- Fn + Up Arrow: Page Up
- Fn + Down Arrow: Page Down
- Fn + Del: Increases screen brightness.
- Fn + Backspace: Decreases screen brightness.
- Fn + Spacebar: Takes a screenshot of the entire screen or screens and puts it into your clipboard.
- Fn + Alt + Spacebar: Takes a screenshot of an active window and puts it into your clipboard.
Latest posts by Kent Chen (see all)
- Windows 10 Quick Tip: How To Display All CPU Cores Performance in Task Manager - March 23, 2017
- How To Batch Convert Outlook MSG Files into PDF Files on Windows - March 22, 2017
- Disabling OneDrive Ads from Displaying in File Explorer in Windows 10 - March 21, 2017
Last updated: 08/17/2016