Speed of an operating system is a major concern. Windows 7 has been contributing a lot to make the system perform well. However, despite getting a nice user experience, you might face some issues with your Windows 7 system. As you know speed and work flow are directly proportional to each other, if speed is unbearably slow, you’ll have to compromise with your important tasks. Hence, it becomes necessary to eliminate the issue quickly. Below are instructions about what you can do to speed up your Windows 7 computer, please continue to know.
Minimize the Count of Startup Programs
When you start your Windows 7 computer, many installed programs run automatically in the background, which is a major cause of system slowdown because these software consume a huge amount of system memory. You need to review which software runs at the startup and remove those that you don’t need. You can detect such software by going to taskbar, and then notification; show the hidden items by clicking the upper arrow.
A list of programs will be shown, either disable them to run automatically or uninstall the programs. Alternatively, you can use Msconfig that is a System Configuration Utility, performing the same task in a better way. To use it, go to the ‘Start’ menu. In the search box, type ‘msconfig’ and start it once the utility is found. When the software list is shown, uncheck the checkbox corresponding to the option that enables the programs to run automatically at startup. However, you cannot uninstall the programs using the utility.
Disable Search Indexing Feature
In common, it is not much required for Windows 7 users to use the Search Indexing feature that simply indexes the files so that they could be found more quickly. However, the feature is great for those who search the files very frequently. Whereas, for users who do not require to search files regularly, the feature is just a system resource consumer. Disabling the Search Indexing contributes to improving the performance of your Windows 7 system. You can disable it as follows:
- On the desktop, right-click ‘Computer’, and then click on ‘Manage’.
- In the displayed ‘Computer Management’ window, click ‘Services and Applications’, and then click ‘Services’.
- A list of services is found in the window; look for ‘Windows Search’ in the list, right-click it, and select ‘Properties’.
- You will see the ‘Windows Search Properties Window’. Click the drop down associated with ‘Startup type’ and select ‘Disabled’.
- Click ‘Apply’, and then click ‘OK’.
Disable the Extra Speedup Services
In Windows 7, there are various services that help speed up the computer. However, if you do not require the service and get it enabled, it will do nothing except consuming system resources for no reason. For example, the service ‘print spooler’ provides help when printer is available. If you do not own a printer, disable the service.
Install a Capable Security Application
Viruses or spyware make computers vulnerable to security threats. They tamper important files and try to catch your sensitive personal information. As you know that these programs are built using strong technologies, hence a capable security application is necessary to combat them. Installing security software (such as antivirus, firewall or antispyware) will boost up your Windows 7 computer’s performance to an optimum level.
Adjust or Disable Visual Effects
If your computer looks fascinating, you cannot be so sure that it is fantastic at speed too. Disabling the unwanted visual effects or adjusting them will help your Windows 7 computer run fast.
- Click the ‘Start’ button; go to the ‘Control Panel’.
- Look for ‘Performance’ and from ‘System’ category, select ‘Adjust the appearance and performance of Windows’.
- From the resultant window, select ‘Adjust for best performance’ or choose an option from ‘Custom’ as needed.
Change Power Settings
You can speed up your Windows 7 computer by changing the default power settings if power consumption or battery usage is not your concern. You can do it as follows:
- Click ‘Start’ button, go to the ‘Control Panel’ → ‘Power Options’.
- Click arrow associated with ‘Show additional plans’, and then select ‘High performance’ plan.
The sound effects that you set in Windows 7 also utilize system resources. Therefore, it is better to disable the effects that are not required in order to maximize the performance of your system. You can disable the sounds as follows:
- Click ‘Start’ button, go to the ‘Control Panel’
- Click ‘Hardware and Sound’, and then click ‘Change system sounds’.
- From the dropdown menu of ‘Sound Scheme’, select ‘No Sounds’
- Uncheck the ‘Play Windows Startup sound’ checkbox.
- Click ‘OK’.
These are some of the strategies making a big difference in the performance of your Windows 7 computer. Moreover, you need not spend bucks buying an external utility to speed up your system. Keeping track of given tips will offer a lot, try it!
Latest posts by Alex (see all)
- Why defragging PC Hard Drive is a Good Idea and How to Do It? - October 23, 2015
- How to Manage Disk Partitions Effectively in Windows 10? - October 21, 2015
- Cool Tips to Speed up your Windows 8,7 machine - October 7, 2015
Last updated: 08/04/2014