The Search feature in Start Menu in Windows 10 searches not only the stuff found on your local computer but also things on the internet as well, through Microsoft’s own Bing search engine. It could be helpful because it does 2 things in one shot but if that’s not your thing you can disable it to get a better search performance in return.
- Click the Cortana icon on the Taskbar to bring out the Cortana search menu first,
- Then click on the Gear icon to open the Settings page,
- Scroll down a bit and switch OFF the option “Search online and include web results“.
That’s it. From this point on, any search performed in the Start menu or Cortana menu will only return the result found on the local computer.
Unfortunately, you will have to turn off the Cortana feature in order to disable the Bing search in Start menu. To disable Cortana, bring up the Cortana menu, go to the disc-like icon right underneath the Home icon, and switch it off there.
Latest posts by Kent Chen (see all)
- How To Disable Removable USB Storage Read, Write and Execute Access on Windows 10 - December 1, 2016
- Windows 10 Tip: How To Move System Tray to the Second Display - November 30, 2016
- How To Display The Last Logon Account Info on Windows 7 and 10 - November 29, 2016
Last updated: 03/24/2016