After a long period of waiting, the official Flipboard finally arrived on Windows Store as a native Windows 8 app that works on both Windows 8 and RT devices. I can now enjoy the awesome flipping experience again on my Surface tablet.
For those who don’t know, Flipboard is an awarding app, first emerged as an iOS app, that provides an awesome user interface for people to catch up all kinds of news, stories, feeds around the world on a touchable mobile device, including smart phones and tablets.
Use the Discover button to customize your Flipboard with iconic sources like The New York Times, PEOPLE magazine, Fast Company and many more. You can also connect your social networks like Facebook, Instagram and Twitter. Share what you are reading and enjoy updates from friends all in one place.
When you find things you like to follow on Flipboard, use the + button to save it to your own personal magazine. You can build magazines on any topic. You can also explorer magazines other readers built by tapping the Discover button and select “by our readers”.
Flipboard also integrates some most popular social services in the app. You can simply add your own accounts to it so that the feeds and content will be streaming through Flipboard as part of your own magazine, including Twitter, Facebook, Google+, or even Google Reader. Speaking of Google Reader, even though the official service has been discontinued, for some reason, I can still follow my feeds using my Google Reader account I previously set up on Flipboard.
What I couldn’t figure out is that I don’t seem to be able to find a way to follow my Feedly feeds through Flipboard, which is quite disappointing, since most of the feeds I am following are now through Feedly.
Here are some of the main features you can use on Flipboard:
- All your news, interests and social updates in one personalized magazine.
- Save stories you love into your own magazine. Use the “+” button on any item, select “create a magazine” and collect favorite stories, images or videos.
- Search for anything – people, topics, hashtags, blogs, your favorite sites – and flip through the results in a beautiful magazine format. Connect Flipboard to up to 12 social networks, streamlining your reading and activities like commenting, liking and sharing. Services include Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Google+ and many more.
- Read Cover Stories for a quick check on what’s happening now. Cover Stories is created just for you and is filled with popular items from everything you’ve added to your Flipboard.
- Enjoy Flipboard in 18 localized editions: for Australia, Brazil, Canada, China, France, Germany, Hong Kong, India, Italy, Japan, Korea, Latin America, Netherlands, Russia, Spain, Taiwan, US and UK.
- Explore hundreds of staff picks using “Discover” at the top, including must-read magazines and blogs, gorgeous photography and special curated sections devoted to the day’s news and other interests.
- Access Flipboard quickly by adding Flipboard as a live tile on your Windows Start screen.
Enjoy your flipping experience.
Latest posts by Kent Chen (see all)
- Microsoft To-Do App Available in Preview on Windows 10, iOS and Android - April 19, 2017
- Windows 10 Tip: What’s Mini View in Movies & TV App and How To Use it - April 15, 2017
- Windows 10 Tip: How To Convert MBR Partition to GPT without Losing Data - April 12, 2017
Last updated: 08/04/2014