If you have a Microsoft account with two-step verification turned on after configured Outlook accounts on your iOS device you might encounter issues like below. Every time launching the Settings app, it will prompt and asking for a new password. “Password Incorrect – Enter the password for the Outlook account ‘Outlook’ ” etc.
Neither Microsoft nor Apple’s help documentation explains how to deal such issue. Initially I was puzzled by this frequenet prompt, and naturally tried to enter the Microsoft account password, but only to found out it did not work. iOS still complains the password is incorrect even though there is nothing wrong with the password I have entered. If this is something like what you are experiencing, this guide will help you fix such issue. It will also fix issues such as Outlook email account no longer send or receive new emails.
Here is how to Fix iOS prompt for Password Incorrect on Outlook accounts
First you need to log in to Microsoft Accounts and go to “Change password & more” → Under Two-Step verification → Turn off two-step verification
Now go back and turn on the Two-Step verification again.
This will re-initialize the process of enabling Two-Step verification. Some warnings before proceeding:
- Make sure you have up-to-date security info where you can receive security codes.
- Create app password for apps and devices (such as Xbox 360, Windows Phone 8 or earlier) or mail apps on your other devices that don’t support two-step verification codes.
The latter is exactly what we are going to do and need in order to allow Outlook email work again on iOS.
Click next will bring you to the page of a app specific password. You’ll need to replace your Microsoft Outlook password in iOS with the password showing below in bold.
Once you are done, you are set!
Give Microsoft some credits, at the end of the wizard it does try to warn you the consequences of enabling two-step verification. Apply this fix wisely and know what you are doing before proceed.
Co-founder of Next of Windows and a cool geek 🙂
Latest posts by Jonathan Hu (see all)
- Download Smashing Magazine Desktop Wallpaper Calendar December 2016 Windows 7/8/10 Theme - November 30, 2016
- How To Display CSV Files with Unicode UTF-8 Encoding in Excel - November 30, 2016
- How To Move Chart To New Window in Excel - November 28, 2016
Last updated: 12/01/2014