You may accomplish so much using a mouse on a Windows 11 device. However, the flexibility you get using a mouse may also be enjoyed using the keyboard. In this guide, we walk you through the best ways to enable and use the mouse on Windows 11 via the keyboard.
How to Enable Mouse Control with Keyboard
You may enable keyboard mouse control via the Settings app or the Control Panel, as shown below.
1. Using the Settings App
The settings app on Windows 11 is a central location that allows you to change or customize virtually every aspect of the computer. You may use these steps to enable the setting to control the mouse pointer using the keyboard.
Step 1: Press Windows + I to open the Settings app.
Step 2: On the left pane, click Accessibility and on the left pane, click Mouse.
Step 3: Toggle on the Mouse keys switch.
2. Using the Control Panel
On Windows 11, the Control Panel provides system settings for numerous applications. You may follow the steps below to turn the mouse pointer control via the Control Panel.
Step 1: Press the magnifying lens on the Taskbar, type control and click on Control Panel.
Step 2: Click Ease of Access.
Step 3: Click Ease of Access Center.
Step 4: Click Make the mouse easier to use.
Step 5: Tick Turn on Mouse Keys and click Set up mouse keys.
Step 6: Tick Turn on Mouse Keys, then click Apply and OK.
How to Use the Mouse With the Windows 11 Keyboard
1. Controlling the Mouse Pointer Using the Keyboard
Use these keypad keys as shown below to move the mouse cursor on the Windows 11 computer:
- 1 – Down and left
- 2 – Down
- 3 – Down and right
- 4 – Left
- 6 – Right
- 7 – Up and left
- 8 – Up
- 9 – Up and right
2. Mouse Pointer Clicking Items Using the Keyboard
The steps below will help you perform the click actions.
- To click – Place the mouse on the item, then press the forward slash key (/) and press 5.
- To double-click – Place the mouse on the item, hold asterisks (*) and press plus (+)
- To Right-click – Place the mouse on the item, hold the dash key (-), and press 5.
3. Draging and dropping Using the Keyboard
In Windows 11, you must choose, drag, and use the context menu’s move option in order to drag and drop files and folders:
- Place the pointer over the object and hit the 0 key.
- To begin dragging, use the keypad.
- Place your mouse where you need to move the item, and press the decimal key (.) to drop the item.
1. How do you perform mouse clicks via the keyboard in Windows 11?
Simply place the mouse on the item and press / and 5.
2. Which keys help to move the cursor on the screen?
You may use the Arrow keys, or the Home key, End key, Page Up key, and Page Down key.
Get More Productive Using Your Keyboard
Now you should be able to enable and use a mouse via the keyboard on Windows 11. Where you may have needed a mouse, you can accomplish similar results using your keyboard.
If you have further questions, we love to read them in the comment section below. Also, you may be interested in reading about keyboard shortcuts on Windows.