We have covered some tips and tricks on how to bring back Windows Start Menu on Windows 8, and bypass the Start Screen to boot directly to the desktop. But here comes a tool called Start8 that makes all these changes deadly simple. And it’s free, though with a sacrifice of offering up your email address, but it’s worthy it.
The features Start8 provides include:
- Add a metro-style type of Start Menu to the Windows 8 Taskbar on desktop
- Enables quick access and searching of your installed applications
- Adds Run… option via right-click menu (one of my favorite)
- Adds Shutdown… option via right-click menu
- Choose a custom Start Menu orb image.
It asks whether you want to boot directly to desktop or not right after the installation but you can alter the option later on through right-click start menu.
There are also a number of options you can alter how the start menu displays on your desktop. You can switch on the full size of Start Screen, instead of the start menu, if you want. You can also enable the Win Key to show the full screen menu as well as choosing the non full screen sizes from 4 options.