Vopt9 is a disk utility that lets you quickly defrag and pack your disk drives to maintain optimal performance and reliability. Its speedy performance makes daily defragging both practical and desirable. Vopt9 offers many different language choices and works on both client (XP to Windows 10) and server (Server 2003 to 2012) platforms.
The main screen displays a graphic map of the selected drive showing which clusters are fully used, partially used, and free. After you’ve done an Analyze process, the map shows which clusters contain normal files, fragmented files, fixed (immovable) files, excluded files, metafiles, system restore files, startup files, and the hiberfile.
Clicking anywhere on the map now pops up a window that lists the files using that area. You can drag a file from the list and drop it into a new location on the same drive. Right-clicking on the file brings up more options such as compress, encryption, etc.
The defragmenting menu offers a number of options for defragging the hard drive, including:
- Defrag drive (tighter packing) – Performs extra work to reduce the number of small gaps left after defragmenting. This takes more time.
- Quick defrag (VSS compatible) – Files larger than 64 MB are not defragmented, and file packing is minimal.
- Batch defrag – Defragments the multiple drives you select, and turns off the system afterward if you like.
- Defrag pagefile – Defragments the pagefile.
Vopt9 used to be a commercial tool but has become freeware as a compliment of the author, Howard Barry Emerson, who declared in his will that Vopt should be his bequest to all Windows PC users. Barry passed away on Feb 18, 2016. Therefore, as a Windows user, we all get to have the access to his legacy for free. Thank you, Barry, and RIP.
All you need is to download the registration file from the same download page and copy it to the program installation folder, such as:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Golden Bow\Vopt 9
Vopt9 is a very powerful disk tool that provides not only strong and fast defragment tasks but some other functions as well, such as disk check, disk failure prediction, garbage clean-up, etc. If your computer is still running off on those spindle disks, Vopt9 seems to be a must-have tool to maximize your disk performance.
Latest posts by Kent Chen (see all)
- Microsoft To-Do App Available in Preview on Windows 10, iOS and Android - April 19, 2017
- Windows 10 Tip: What’s Mini View in Movies & TV App and How To Use it - April 15, 2017
- Windows 10 Tip: How To Convert MBR Partition to GPT without Losing Data - April 12, 2017
Last updated: 08/04/2016